incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:14:40 GMT
Rob,

As were you, I was looking at the value of the ezmlm confirmation e-mail and
its opt-in requirement for moderator-initiated subscriptions.  It seemed to me
that would provide a clean opt-in point for users of lists about to be
retired.

The process for the moderator-initiated subscription needs to know
subscription e-mail addresses for the current members of the to-be-retired
list.    It depends, of course, on a moderator having the subscriber e-mail
addresses, and I did not indicate how that could be solved any more than your
experiment did.

I think the modifications to ezmlm messages is important regardless.

 - Dennis

STILL THINKING OUT LOUD

On the other hand, making moderators of the current list be moderators on the
new list and being sure that they notify the list of the move prospect would
be a way to subdivide the work with people who presumably do have access to
the distribution list of the retiring ML.  Those moderators can be expected to
follow the rules that apply in their jurisdictions.

And wait: Aren't the lists on a US hosted site already?  The Oracle Privacy
Policy might be the governing situation.

Providing an opt-in migration that is not a surprise to the list members,
announced clearly in advance, might be a clean way to navigate all of this.