incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:46:09 GMT
Shane, just to clarify a bit.  As far as I know, the PPMC does not have the
keys, as it were, to the live OpenOffice.org site.  Apparently someone does,
and some touch ups are made, but it is all sort of behind the scenes and, um,
not very transparent, especially since there is no archive or repository that
the PPMC has visibility into.

However, there does need to be some lofting around what is a roadmap here, and
how does the existing live site be staged (and users informed) for transition
of the properties under OpenOffice.org.

I'm thinking on it.  I am trusting that others with their hands on the knobs
and dials will also speak up on what they can do by way of preparation for
staging, and then staging.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Curcuru [mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 13:55
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?

Heh, indeed, while I so completely disagree with Rob's style here that I
don't even know where to start, he does have a point in that things get
done in projects by people who actually do them.

Wearing my mentor hat, my primary job is to encourage the community
around this project to grow in a healthy manner and do the things
themselves.  So from my mentor hat perspective, I'm really not a very
good example in what I do.  As a mentor, there are things where you
should "do as I say, not as I do", because part of the point of being a
mentor is to help *you* (as in the community) actually start doing things.

----

On the other hand, wearing my VP, Brand hat, I strongly urge the PPMC to
take action on my email, especially the points about ensuring some sort
of branding updates are done on existing openoffice.org websites.  In
particular, I'm concerned about the non-code areas - fundraising,
leadership, marketing, and the like.  I'd really like to see the PPMC
taking ownership and working out how they want to manage the transition
in ownership from all those web properties, but starting to at least
make some updates in place reflecting the future plans for the sites.

If not, then yes, I will eventually get to it, and I will do the work
myself, unilaterally, as VP, Brand (i.e. not as a mentor on this project).

It's inappropriate for the project to spend so long with so much
"orphan" content on oo.o sites, wherein it's kinda Oracle's (and is
perceived as dead by more people each day), and it's kinda ours (since
we have a transfer of the domains and marks).  We need action on showing
the rest of the world where we're planning to go with this great big
brand and chunk of content we've inherited.

- Shane