incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [SPAM] Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:19:25 GMT
I agree that there are too many lists @OO.o and that some serious triage and
pruning is required.

I think that has to be in the conversation with the survivors on @OO.o.  It
would be great to have their participation, concurrence and assistance in
doing that, no matter how the migration is carried out.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 13:01
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> John,
>
> [answering quickly without having seen more-recent posts yet]
>
> I believe it is the Apache OpenOffice.org Community Wiki (aka OOOUSERS) that
> is intended to receive the list of still-active OO.o mailing lists that need
> to have some sort of arrangements made for migration, one way or another:
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/>.
>
> The proposal here is to the effect that OO.o lists will be shut down and
> that
> there will be some select number of ooo-yourListNameHere@
> incubator.apache.org
> lists offered as Apache OpenOffice.org project alternatives.
>
> One problem being faced is that Apache infrastructure does not have an
> existing way to preserve the OO.o lists in their present form, with the
> subscription mechanism connection to OpenOffice.org User IDs (and other
> means
> of subscription), the archives, and, I suppose, the @OO.o list names.

I don't think that is an accurate statement of the problem.  We
currently have over 300 openoffice.org mailings lists.  Many of them
are abandoned, many of them overrun with spam.   And we have thriving
lists here at Apache.   Having the community split between 303
different lists is harmful to the community.  It divides our energy.
We should be looking to combine these lists together into as few lists
as necessary to maintain focus, but without dividing the conversations
of the community.  The problem so far is that we have created new
lists at Apache without shutting down the existing lists.

I would be a strong -1 for anyone who proposed to recreate the 300+
lists at Apache.  I'd like to improve collaboration within the
community, not merely "preserve the OO.o lists in their present form",
which I think most observers would admit is a mess today.

[ ... ]