incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:23:24 GMT
The moderator-issued subscription e-mail seems useful, especially because it
is done as an opt-in (requiring confirmation from the recipient).  If the list
to be retired was informed of this process, its near-automatic operation could
be considered.

 - Dennis

THINKING OUT LOUD

With regard to the messages from ezmlm, I wonder if these are ones that are
customizable by list.  I thought they were.  A valuable way to do this might
be to include a link to an English-language version of the message in all NL
ones.  Pointing to other useful web pages might also be valuable.  I notice
that ezmlm is designed to work relying on e-mail alone and that should be
preserved, but links to web-based support is also valuable and is very useful
to link to.  The web page could also deal with thing such as what OOo lists
does this one replace, where are the archives for the original list(s), etc.

OPEN ITEMS

It strikes me that there remains the issue I see, in that the ooo-younameit @
i.a.o lists are considerably less friendly than the theynamedit@ OO.o lists.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 07:57
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
<snip>

> I would turn the post you describe into a warning that the mailing list
> address will change, including all information about Apache but not
> requiring users to take action. I volunteer to consolidate the 12 lists into
> 3 and to subscribe users to the right ones (of course, being "project owner"
> of it.openoffice.org, I have a list of all subscribers to the 12 lists).

I did an experiment on how we can subscribe users to the mailing list
automatically.  I looked just at the technical aspect of this.  I did
not look at the legal or policy implications.

Moderators of Apache lists can subscribe new users to the list, by
sending a specially addressed email to the list manager.  For example,
to subscribe foo@bar.com to this list, you would send an email to:

ooo-dev-subscribe-foo=bar.com@incubator.apache.org

Note the @ in the address is replaced by an =

A moderator can do the above, but this still will generate a
confirmation email, to foo@bar.com, in English:

at ooo-dev-owner@incubator.apache.org.

To confirm that you would like

   foo@bar.com

added to the ooo-dev mailing list, please send
a short reply to this address:

   ooo-dev-sc.XXXXX.XXXXX-foo=bar.com@incubator.apache.org

Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
the "To:" field of a new message.

or click here:
		 mailto:ooo-dev-sc.XXXXX.XXXXXX-foo=bar.com@incubator.apache.org"

So with the moderator rights available to us now, we can't do a fully
automated sign up of existing list members, even if we had resolved
the legal and policy issues.  I don't know if there are other,
administrative functions in ezmlm that could be used, by Apache Infra,
to more fully automate this.

-Rob