incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Publishing the PPMC Roster
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 01:39:52 GMT
One more comment, concerning

"For example, I'd be against a manual process that yields the wrong answer."

OK, just kidding but: Are you more in favor of automated processes that yield
the wrong answer [;<?

There are the usual safeguards.  A public list is easily reviewed.  I expect
folks check their own entry out of self-interest, and the usual correction
processes work.  Also, the fact that everything is in SVN somewhere or is
otherwise reversible/correctible works to the usual benefit.  It is easy
enough to also report to ooo-dev any time the list is updated.

Being careful is being careful.  Having a reliable procedure for detecting and
correcting defects is a hall-mark of human technical activity.  I believe in
some communities this is the appeal of "many eyes."  For the PPMC list, I
assure you, all defects will be shallow [;<).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 17:48
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Publishing the PPMC Roster

[ ... ]

I might be a +1 or -1 depend on answers to the above questions.  For
example, I'd be against a manual process that yields the wrong answer.

But I do like the idea in general of listing the PPMC members.  Or
even better have a single list that is annotated per roles, e.g. PPMC
member, committer, mentor.

-Rob