incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:13:59 GMT
Ignore the -1, it was just about processing happening when I was using them only to clarify
the kind of thing I wanted to report and have taken care of deliberatively, rather than have
them dumped on you in some odd way.  It was on me as much as anything, since I should have
known by now that the examples would be processed.

Yes, I am subscribed to ooo-commits.  Unfortunately, the CWiki commits don't come over as
diffs but as complete text before and after.  So I rarely read them.  For me, all they serve
as is a reminder to go to the CWiki page and find out what really happened.  I find ooo-issues
much easier to handle.

"Already known to be in progress" is the problem here.  I will follow Rob's comment and use
BZ.

The terms-of-use one is broader, but the short-term solution is simple.  I'll raise that on
its own thread.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 12:40
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements

Hi Dennis,

Before you go and put a bunch of little formatting issues from websites that are already known
to be a work in progress in BZ two things need to happen.

(1) Someone besides me has to take ownership on that web project.

(2) We all need to agree on what the approach is for the website.

I asked for a wiki because it is easier for me in doing the initial work. I know it is a counter
pattern.

Are you subscribed to ooo-commits? CWiki is just as visible there as BZ.

I don't know what you are -1 ing?

Regards,
Dave

On Oct 31, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> +1
>
> I agree that the PayPal and other specific donation pages on http:// *.openoffice.org
properties must be removed.  Likewise the Team Office one.  It is already established that
these are inappropriate under Apache governance.  I believe it is appropriate to have a page
that indicates there are many ways to provide supporting donations, specifies where to donate
to ASF, and may list others with a disclaimer that the contributor should satisfy themselves
as to the purposes of other listed sites and that ASF has no liability whatsoever in providing
links to them.

> With regard to uniqueness of the pages between the various NLs, I lean toward that while
also wanting the NL groups to be able to express their individuality.  Having them be essentially
similar in the main content, but translated into the NL, is valuable in many respects. It
allows a non-NL-fluent person to figure out what the buttons and menu items are by knowing
what they are on pages that are understood -- not unlike trouble-shooting an NL install for
someone who doesn't know that language.  Having bi-lingual information on the pages can be
useful too.)

> If the pages are similar enough, having a flag-banner or other strip for choosing between
languages is also useful, reducing the amount of searching that has to be done in an unfamiliar
language.

> - Dennis
>
> -1
>
> OK, back to the thread.  I gave examples and wanted a way to report more in some systematic
fashion so they could be handled systematically.  Instead, there is processing in the e-mail.
 I wanted to avoid that (and here I am, doing it also).  Wiki is not my favorite choice, because
nothing keeps my eye on it and I have to mess around subscribing to individual pages and dealing
with wikiText editing.  I think I'll try bugzilla, even though there may be considerable discussion
on some topics, such as the PayPal and Donation discussion here.

and solicits $25 donations for downloads:<  http://ooo-site.apache.org/es/programa/index.html>.
 The solicitations are for the "oooES" PayPal account.

>> Yes, I've flagged that as well - Alexandro should be able to explain oooES. I think
it is in a similar category to Team OpenOffice. I've found a paypal button in the Greek site
to an individual for translation work. Not sure about others yet. I'll know when we're complete.
These were all sanctioned at some point and I think the PPMC will need to decide policy in
conversation with trademarks@a.o.