incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject [DISCUSS] When Is a PPMC Invitee a PPMC Member?
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:40:13 GMT
I am initiating a lazy consensus with regard to when someone is recognized as
being a PPMC member.  Recognition as a PPMC member applies both for being
listed on the Podling Status roster and for eligibility to cast a binding vote
on any podling ballot.

The discussion will last until midnight Tuesday, 2011-10-18T24:00Z.

PROPOSAL: No one is established as a PPMC member unless they have an
invitation to the PPMC and they are subscribed to ooo-private@  No one who has not established themselves at the PPMC
before a vote commences (on ooo-private or on ooo-dev) is not counted as
casting a binding PPMC-member vote on that ballot.

It is easy for any AOOo committer who has an invitation to the PPMC to
establish themselves.  Simply subscribe to ooo-private@
using the id@ From: e-mail address that each committer has.  If
that e-mail address is not used, use the e-mail address that is known for the
committer from the iCLA registration or that is listed for that id@
in the MailAlias.txt file.  (Modifying MailAlias.txt will or will not be easy
depending on individual circumstances.  Requests for assistance work.)

Why be fussy about this?  First, it is inappropriate for someone to exercise a
binding vote when they have not been participating on the PPMC by at least
receiving the ooo-private discussions and being aware of whatever is being
said there about procedures, discussions leading up to a ballot, etc.  That is
a very low bar.

When and how a PPMC Member is established is an important matter.  There are
edge cases around when votes (and vetoes) are counted as binding.  (Think of
PPMC Member establishment as an equivalent of voter registration in
jurisdictions that have such procedures.)

For example, when a ballot is carried out on the ooo-private@ i.a.o list, the
distinction is between mentors and PPMC members.  Since it is on a list that
only PPMC members (and mentors and ASF Members) may subscribe to, it is
relatively easy to recognize votes by PPMC members.  The odd case of someone
coming on board in the middle of an ooo-private ballot hasn't occurred.

Similarly, for ballots carried out on the ooo-dev list, there is the question
of standing (binding or not) of those who have been invited to be on the PPMC
but who have not established themselves on the PPMC and of those who establish
themselves after the balloting has commenced.

When asked how I record PPMC membership in the private register that I
maintain for the PPMC, I asserted that anyone who has not established
themselves on the PPMC is not on the PPMC in the published list of committers.
This [DISCUSS] is to ensure the consequences of that on matters of importance
are understood and that there is consensus now, rather than in the midst of
some contentious deliberation.

 - Dennis