incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:05:13 GMT
I would hope that it is now recognized how much anguish is created by asking
folks to come to one of our few lists to discuss the future of the OO.o list
they are on and happy with already.  Also, those users generally do not
understand why slash-and-burn and piling into camps is necessary.  It looks
easy to them.

I strongly recommend that the conversation be on the threatened lists, since
it will be anyhow, and that the conversation be kept in that one place for
coherence.   (I invite ooo-dev, ooo-users, and ooo-marketing subscribers to
come to the threatened lists as well to support engagement of those related
communities and demonstrate our good intentions.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:17
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> My concern for this proposal is that it doesn't involve engaging any of the
> OpenOffice.org community, it simply tells them a two-week-out date where
> something will happen and there is no opportunity for dialog.

I don't think that is an accurate statement of what I am proposing.  I
intend to be very specific about what will happen in the note to the
mailing lists.  It wull not be mysterious.

As for "dialog",

1) The initial note would point out the existence of ooo-users and
ooo-dev and (by that time) ooo-marketing and invite them to join those
lists if they wanted to further dialog.

2) I would subscribe to each of the lists receiving the notification
and be available to answer any questions users might direct to those
lists.

> Maybe publishing the list on the wiki (the presumption being anything not on
> that list is simply shut down?) will help.  Maybe assistance will come
> forward if there is more regret in what is foreseen and it is made know that
> help is welcome and valued?  Do you see this as something that can be
> adjusted for or is it necessary for someone to take it off your hands to do
> that much?

My proposal included putting a list on the wiki.  So that part will be
covered.

-Rob