incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] development for the first AOO release
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:59:09 GMT
   BTW:
   When we do the rebranding stuff again (sick!) we should have a final
   product name at hand at that time.

I suspect that the restraints on identification of incubator releases will apply to however
it is branded.

It looks like the first one, at least, is definitely a "Technology Preview" release.  It and
the second will certainly be ways to bring the QA, localization, and related activities back
into action as well.

Exciting times ahead!

 - Dennis E. Hamilton
   tools for document interoperability,  <http://nfoWorks.org/>
   dennis.hamilton@acm.org  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus (OOo) [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 07:34
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release

Am 10/24/2011 03:18 PM, schrieb Oliver-Rainer Wittmann:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose the following development milestones on our way
> to the first AOO release:
>
> - "IP cleared" milestone
[ ... ]

> - "features back" milestone
> For this milestone we should work on bringing back the features which
> are lost in the previous milestone. I do not think that we have to bring
> back every feature for a first release. Thus, we would have got the
> possibility to work on the features which are of most interest. At some
> point we could create a "release candidate" and start working on
> stabilizing it for a first release, if we think that the "must have"
> features are back.

[ ... ]
> Any remarks/comments/improvements/adjustments?
> Any objections to follow such plan for our first release?

It's fine to see a kind of roadmap starting.

Also to have a first public intermediate step with a clean IP is great,
towards our first "real" Apache release. Then everybody can see that
it's really going forward with OOo (as often the feeling is the opposite
in the public when you read news and blogs).

And of course we have to make clear that this milestone is really just
an intermediate step and not what the most would expect.

BTW:
When we do the rebranding stuff again (sick!) we should have a final
product name at hand at that time.

Marcus

[ ... ]