incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [tdf-discuss] ODF and HTML 5
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:02:52 GMT
My apologies for the heavy-duty cross-posting.  It might be good to pick a single public list
and a subject header and converge there.

Q: WHERE IS THE PROPOSAL?

This started as a simple e-mail list question by Jaime R. Garza on the [tdf-discuss] list:
<http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07698.html>.

There is no proposal in the sense of some technical submission to adapt ODF for this purpose.
 You are pretty much seeing the extent of the discussion so far.  The proposal is a paragraph
and concept being echoed around these lists now.

Q: WHERE TO BECOME INVOLVED IN ODF IN HTML5?

There are probably two ways to be involved.

First, development of a proof-of-concept and working [reference] implementation is valuable.

Secondly, the development of necessary specifications, perhaps jointly between the OASIS ODF
TC and the W3C, might be required.

Also, one needs to differentiate between making some sort of OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice deliverable
that works in HTML5 and a worked extension of HTML5 that somehow ties into the ODF Format.

It might not even make technical sense to "make ODF part of HTML5," and that has to be resolved
also.

Q: WHAT ABOUT OASIS (and what does Rob Weir have to say about this)?

Rob is on vacation this week.  I know he and others involved on the OASIS TCs are interested
in this topic.

A related topic (defining HTML5 presentation of ODF documents) was raised at the OASIS ODF
Interoperability and Conformance (OIC TC) on their 2011-09-07 teleconference call:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201109/msg00009.html>.  It came under section
3.2.3 Profiles.  The discussion is of a Web Profile for ODF.  That is not an insignificant
effort.

Q: WHAT ARE THE TECHNICAL CHALLENGES?

   ODF has no rendering model and certainly not an interactive-presentation/-editing model.
 None.  Obviously, OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice do, but those is not to be found in the ODF
specification.

There are an insignificant number of [X]HTML-isms in the ODF specifications.  XLINK is used,
for example.

There is no specified mapping to [X]HTML.  If there were, the import/export of [X]HTML in
various implementations of ODF-bases software would presumable work better.  That would be
the potential subject matter of a Web Profile though.

There is no standardized ODF DOM (and API) nor a mapping of ODF into an HTML[5] DOM.  Somehow,
to make macros and applets work inside ODF, something like this is required as well, although
having it fit HTML5 as well might be a confusion of abstraction levels.  (The integration
of macros and applets that access the interior structure and external presentation of an ODF
document is implementation-defined in ODF 1.2.)

Q: WHERE CAN TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT HAPPEN?

The ODF Toolkit project offers some DOM implementations, but they are not part of ODF itself.

The ODF Toolkit project is currently being moved to Apache though.  That project is currently
quite Java-centric.  It might be interesting to include that effort in this conversation,
however.

If a public reference implementation were to be developed, I believe it is desirable to have
it be Apache licensed, wherever development were to occur.  The possibility of a new podling
at Apache specifically for this effort should not be overlooked.

That is the only political part that I see to these challenges, apart from developers, including
in private projects, wanting to do it themselves.