incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Migration of Forums Recruitment of Operators
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 03:32:21 GMT
These are my personal observations and I will report them to the Forum Administrators also.
 Any of the Forum operators can chime in here.

There is not a formal vote that I can see.  There was a poll that ended up 63% in favor, 37%
opposed on the English Language forums, and I understand that there were wild variances on
some of the other NL forums, including nobody in favor in one case.

The reality seems to be that the move is accepted as happening.  It comes down to knowing
what Forum operators will stick around, which ones will declare themselves interested in the
iCLA -> committer -> PPMC progression, etc.

I doubt that the picture will be completely clear until the move is accomplished and folks
can raise their heads after the current emergency.

Meanwhile, I have asked the Forum Operators to please identify who is raising their hands
to take the Apache plunge.  I've also asked *them* who on the PPMC is already known there
that could be useful as Apache Observers (if not already among the Forum operators).  This
would be to serve as consultants to them and especially help communicate/build-bridges/support
with the Native Language forums and those operators, I think.

It might be good to find out who here on the PPMC has interest in being Apache Observers:
Forum registrants who have access to the administrative sections and can also post there,
but not take administrative actions.  (This is separate from current PPMC members who are
already among the Forum Operators and have whatever privileges come with that.)

This would relax the need for them to rush everything through at once while having someone
"on site" to observe the Forums and their orderly operation.  This could satisfy the PPMC
that there is adequate oversight in these early days, even if only on an interim/transitional
basis.

I'm going to report this same perspective there.

 - Dennis