incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [SPAM] Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:45:28 GMT
John,

[answering quickly without having seen more-recent posts yet]

I believe it is the Apache OpenOffice.org Community Wiki (aka OOOUSERS) that
is intended to receive the list of still-active OO.o mailing lists that need
to have some sort of arrangements made for migration, one way or another:
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/>.

The proposal here is to the effect that OO.o lists will be shut down and that
there will be some select number of ooo-yourListNameHere@ incubator.apache.org
lists offered as Apache OpenOffice.org project alternatives.

One problem being faced is that Apache infrastructure does not have an
existing way to preserve the OO.o lists in their present form, with the
subscription mechanism connection to OpenOffice.org User IDs (and other means
of subscription), the archives, and, I suppose, the @OO.o list names.

To do otherwise requires this project coming up with the necessary personnel
to accomplish some less-disruptive approach.  Also, individuals who are
already able to administer and moderate those lists are needed to support such
a migration.  That needs to be sustaining support.  Apache Infrastructure can
provide the platform, but maintenance and operation of the service, to the
extent that it is unique here, must be supported by volunteers from the Apache
OpenOffice.org project.  That includes not only moderators, but
administrators, including site administration for the running mailing-list
software.

John, are you able to support us having something less apocalyptic for when
the OpenOffice.org web site is moved to ASF custody?  Do you have contact with
those who can?

 - Dennis