incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:47:49 GMT
+1 to keeping OpenOffice.org indefinitely (and using Apache OpenOffice.org when there are actually
such releases).

Here's my over-thinking on the matter.

 - Dennis

TOO MUCH MORE THINKING:

I don't want to put too fine an edge on this, but I rarely see and never say
Apache Subversion, Apache Hadoop, etc.  On the other hand, I *will* say Apache
OpenOffice.org because it will be a particular family of releases and the
implementations of binary distributions from those releases that will be
distinct from what OpenOffice.org has been.

With regard to OpenOffice.org itself, there is a struggle to make a safe
landing of the current OpenOffice.org web properties under Apache
custodianship.

This is clear to me:

  The incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg site is going to be the corresponding
property for the AOOo development project, until such time that ooo.apache.org
(or OpenOffice[org].apache.org) becomes the development site for the Apache OOo
TLP.  Developer-significant services such as SVN, the bugzilla issue tracker,
and other resources will also be associated with AOOo, not OpenOffice.org.

  The openoffice.org web properties are very significant and are currently the
only sources of the progression of OpenOffice.org releases up until now.  AOOo
incubator releases will be grounded at incubator.apache.org.

OpenOffice.org represents the lineage, the recognition, and tons of materials
that people know to find (via Google or whatever) for important user-facing
and historical information.  Like it or not, OpenOffice.org is the touchstone
and the goto place, and if the connections and links into that ecology and the
material there are broken or abandoned, including all the cross-dependencies
therein, the damage to the future reception of AOOo may well be irreparable.

  Even after there are AOOo incubator releases, OpenOffice.org will remain
important.

  It is also clear that there is some refactoring and transformation to be
done so that the appropriate divisions and coupling of ooo.apache.org and
openoffice.org are evolved by the time AOOo leaves incubation as a TLP (or
not, for that matter).

  The value of the openoffice.org brand is apparent in the extent of the
efforts to subvert/misappropriate it.  There is a duty to the users of the
OpenOffice.org releases and the Apache OpenOffice.org releases to follow, to
protect them by protecting that brand.

I don't know what that does for trademark issues, branding, and so on.  The
branding on the openoffice.org sites can be adjusted once they are under the
incubator's operation and Apache infrastructure custody.  I think there will
continue to be openoffice.org sites for a significant time, despite
progressive movement of substantial portions to
incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg and, later, ooo.apache.org.  I would be
astonished were the openoffice.org domain and the OpenOffice.org trademark
abandoned in the foreseeable future.