incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Hosting OpenGrok?
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:11:49 GMT
+1

It is important to understand the responsibility of the AOOo project to support its infrastructural
needs beyond the basics that are available to all projects.  And even then, the project has
curation and administration responsibility for aspects of the SVN (e.g., how it is used to
deploy web properties) and especially the Bugzilla.

Dave captures the tension between what is wanted and what is offered quite neatly.  It goes
farther to offer support for something than to request provision of it as if support comes
for free.  And infrastructure has a primary concern in assuring that offered support is sustainable.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:35
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Jürgen Schmidt
Subject: Re: Hosting OpenGrok?

Jürgen,

On Oct 15, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> Jürgen Schmidt wrote on Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 00:04:59 +0200:
>> I don't wanted to be arrogant or presumptuous but i really don't care here
>> about other projects.
>
> Infra won't install your stuff without considering the effect on the 100
> or so other ASF projects too.

One of the advantages that Oracle provided was support for a lot of infrastructure. This included
enough sysadmin support. We've seen what happens now that those "resources" are elsewhere.
The difference at the ASF is one of bootstrapping. Apache Infrastructure is a team of volunteers
and they can only support so much.

When a new set of "necessary" infrastructure like MediaWiki or OpenGrok is requested it becomes
the requesting project's responsibility to provide enough volunteers to convince Apache Infrastructure
that they won't be stuck with an operational or security problem.

I'm not sure if this particular "no" from Apache Infrastructure is more a blanket no due to
issues like adding load on the SVN repos, or is more another project request that the project
can't support.

As a project we are only now getting a handle on sysadmin of the migrated BZ instance. MediaWiki
and Fora are about ready and Infra is supportive even with a bare minimum of support from
AOOo. I don't think we have enough clear volunteers for the MW and the User Forums, but we
are close.

Regards,
Dave=