incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 02:03:37 GMT
Shane,

I am guessing that "earning from advertising" is meant to be having revenue by
permitting ad placements on OpenOffice.org web properties.

I would be happy to learn that this is not intended.

It occurs to me that some thinking about the marketing posture needs to be
considered before running too far down the marketing road, especially as
"selling" is showing up in the narrative.

There are two aspects that concern me:

 1. First, it is important to sustain the Apache sense of mission and the
celebration of all implementations of software, whether downstream,
sidestream, or elsewhere that have a common heritage with Apache
OpenOffice.org or not, and that are intended to support office productivity
activities.

 2. Secondly, that the Apache OpenOffice.org message agnostic with regard to
commercial and non-commercial development of products, by whatever development
and licensing models, that interoperate in this space via reliance on open
standards, including those for document formats.

I am not certain that (1-2) represent the shared perspective of those of us
involved in Apache OpenOffice.org and in kindred projects.  I trust that the
Apache Foundation position will be in line with (1-2) nonetheless.

I accept that a certain level of puffery is tolerable with regard to the
promotion of the benefits of OpenOffice.org employment in various settings.
However, I am not so sure that anything that resembles counter-marketing and
competitive posturing concerning deficiencies of alternatives is fitting in
this new home of OpenOffice.org.

 - Dennis