incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:18:30 GMT
+1

I agree that the PayPal and other specific donation pages on http:// *.openoffice.org properties
must be removed.  Likewise the Team Office one.  It is already established that these are
inappropriate under Apache governance.  I believe it is appropriate to have a page that indicates
there are many ways to provide supporting donations, specifies where to donate to ASF, and
may list others with a disclaimer that the contributor should satisfy themselves as to the
purposes of other listed sites and that ASF has no liability whatsoever in providing links
to them.

With regard to uniqueness of the pages between the various NLs, I lean toward that while also
wanting the NL groups to be able to express their individuality.  Having them be essentially
similar in the main content, but translated into the NL, is valuable in many respects. It
allows a non-NL-fluent person to figure out what the buttons and menu items are by knowing
what they are on pages that are understood -- not unlike trouble-shooting an NL install for
someone who doesn't know that language.  Having bi-lingual information on the pages can be
useful too.)

If the pages are similar enough, having a flag-banner or other strip for choosing between
languages is also useful, reducing the amount of searching that has to be done in an unfamiliar
language.

 - Dennis

-1

OK, back to the thread.  I gave examples and wanted a way to report more in some systematic
fashion so they could be handled systematically.  Instead, there is processing in the e-mail.
 I wanted to avoid that (and here I am, doing it also).  Wiki is not my favorite choice, because
nothing keeps my eye on it and I have to mess around subscribing to individual pages and dealing
with wikiText editing.  I think I'll try bugzilla, even though there may be considerable discussion
on some topics, such as the PayPal and Donation discussion here.