incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [REVIEW] Staged Migration of OO.o domain properties (long)
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 17:58:42 GMT
I like your breakdown.  I don't think that each of us is looking at the same
thing, and my use of "property" has apparently confused matters.

But I like your breakdown.  I would like some practice on a wiki organization
before automating though.  I'd prefer something that grounds our understanding
before [more] technology gets put in the way.

And I like your breakdown.

I've also been pointed to the Status Board used on FreeBSD:

It is probably necessary to do this sort of thing in layers, with progressive
deepening.  For migration activities, some of the deeper level checklists will
have similar structure but may have a different mix of contributors and the
check-off's would happen separately, I think.  There is no release staging in
our case, although one might define numbered/named waves in the incubation of
the site under Apache hosting.

And I like your breakdown.

Let's keep noodling.

 - Dennis

I was afraid that the use of [web] property in the real-estate or venue sense
as opposed to in the philosophical/class-theoretical/data-model sense was
going to make some confusion.  For example, projects are properties, if I
understand the usage I was borrowing from Shane.  I see that my metaphor in
terms of civil-organization structures failed.  Here is one of the places I
noticed the usage I was attempting to exploit:

I like what you are doing, though I think tabulations on a wiki is a better
way to develop migration choreography.  If that is one more case of generated
material, I am worried that there is one more barrier to participation and,
perhaps, premature implementation.

There is another issue.  Early in the creation of the incubator, there was a
lengthy discussion, perhaps on ooo-private, that hierarchy is to be avoided
and is perhaps anathema in The Apache Way.  In the past days, there has been a
rush to what appears to be institution of hierarchy to obtain the benefits of
specialization.  I wonder about that and the use of "leader."  I am also
unclear how something as complex as as an institution is
operated in a headless structure that depends on self-organization of
specialized activity.

I would love to have the coaching from mentors on developing ourselves to
operate in accord with The Apache Way here.