incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:30:12 GMT
I am not sure that a complete list is being dealt with in the manner Shane is
requesting.

 1. I see a big hole around all @openoffice.org migration, since that includes
mailing lists and a single-sign-on registration and e-mail forwarding (i.e.,
the orcmid user name that I registered with too many years ago has an orcmid @
openoffice.org e-mail address and it is also the User ID for log-in to the
site, to the wiki, to forums, and to a page where I can manage my own
subscriptions to @ openoffice.org e-mail lists.  (The securityteam@ OO.o list
is different, because it is a restricted, moderated list in a different
manner.  There are also administrative lists, such as moderators@ and so on.)

Up to this point there have been no identified individuals that support this
on the current host and those plus others that can assist in a migration.
This part impacts the non-disruptive transfer of the custody of all of the
other features of OpenOffice.org, including those called-out below, especially
with regard to the preservation of registration and the tying of registrations
to the provenance of contributed material:

 2. The bugzilla was migrated, but it was done without any advanced-staging at
<http://openoffice.org>.   On my latest check there is still breakage left
behind, although someone has provided more links to the new Apache OOo live
instance.  (It would be really great if folks pitching in would announce their
intention and at least the results on ooo-dev.  Absent a traditional
management structure, the only thing that keeps us from being herdless cats is
communication.  Especially communication that eliminates duplication of effort
and continual wondering what the current state is.)

 3. The OpenOffice Forums have been brought up on an Apache-hosted system.
The live instance remains under Oracle hosting and negotiations on governance
of the migrated forums is proceeding.  (Watch this space.)  Still, the ability
to provide site administration and coordinated staging and then hook-in of the
transferred live forums to the Apache server needs more steady hands.

 4. The OpenOffice Wiki had been brought up on an Apache-hosted system.  There
is proof-of-concept, in effect, and a pilot operation.  There is serious doubt
whether sufficient skilled hands are available for conducting the server and
site administration, providing coordinated staging, and operating a
transferred MediaWiki site on Apache infrastructure.  Instead of acquiring
that capability, there is ad hoc preparation to convert the OpenOffice
MediaWiki to Confluence Wiki despite warnings that this is going to take far
more effort for less appealing result than is foreseen.

 5. I think there are other services (such as the localization services,
historical archives, repositories for extensions and templates) that have not
been put on our radar.  The list of OO.o Projects (their term) that Kay Schenk
has provided may provide more that are not comprehended.  Since security has
been a topic of late, I confess to having never checked (or learned where to
check) that there are any previous CVEs on OO.o releases and whether any
security warnings against specific releases are easily found before someone
downloads one of the older puppies.

 6. And then there is lining up terms of use, continuing the separation of
development materials and supports that belong @i.a.o instead of @OO.o, and
any IP clearance that is needed in regard to existing material and whether
they are to be considered release deliverables or not.

I see two underlying issues here:

 A. Having enough experienced hands to take on the preparation, staging,
migration, integration and sustained support of all of these established
OpenOffice.org functions.

 B. Somehow creating a process capability by which this is carried out as a
successful collaborative effort from the current hosting to rehosting at
Apache.  This seems to call for a headless management process at a scale I've
not experienced and I don't see being offered. That is not how OpenOffice.org
was built, yet the kind of commercial/competitive-firm infrastructure and
management is unavailable to Apache AOOo.  I don't decry that.  My concern is
that all of the needed experience is from that sort of enterprise.  An Apache
Way equivalent does not appear to be at hand for AOOo.  OO.o climbed to a
particular level.  Now that ladder that supported that climb has been taken
away.  It's a challenge.