incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 00:25:23 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: TJ Frazier []
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 16:38
Subject: Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o

On 10/21/2011 18:48, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On 10/21/2011 01:31 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
>> Dave,
>> I want to be very sure about this, because I can and will post the
>> notices on the live wiki ...
>> On 10/21/2011 14:35, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I had a conversation with Andrew Rist this morning. Here is what I
>>> have found out about what will happen in one week.
>>> (1) Forums and Mediawiki will be cloned and moved to Apache
>>> Infrastructure on top of the work that TerryE and the Apache Infra
>>> team accomplished. Andrew, Gavin and TJ will be doing the heavy
>>> lifting starting with some practice conversions.
>> I read this to mean that Infra has devised a way to support the live MW
>> wiki satisfactorily. YEA!! from me, too. Well done, guys. I will post
>> the outage notices Kay recommends as soon as I can, after confirmation.
>> I have posted a "Salvage Plan" at
>> but this is much better.
> I think what you've got here looks good as much as I know about MW,
> which isn't much.
> Q1: WILL user accounts be migrated or will folks need to re-sign?

There is no technical reason for needing to re-sign. In the absence of
direction from the PPMC, they won't need to.

When Terry created the test copy, he included a step to scramble the
existing passwords, thus making the wiki copy effectively read-only.
There is no technical need for this.
> Q2: If folks re-use existing user names, can they, in fact, get to the
> same info as before with the same rights? In other words, are the
> administrative aspects part of the "load" or must this be done some
> other way?

Briefly, yes. The admin rights are part of the load. As a "bureaucrat"
(wiki role) I can add or delete rights for anybody. I would expect to
get some direction from the PPMC on this, but I am assuming that the
ranks of administrators ("sysops" in popular parlance) and bureaucrats
should be winnowed of non-active members, which is most of them.

In theory, the PPMC could tell me to add a couple of new bureaucrats,
remove my own rights, and go back to being an ordinary user. Which I
could and would do, though I would recommend against it. --/tj/
>>> Does Apache Infra plan to change dns resolution of
>>> and to point to the ooo-forum.a.o and ooo-wiki.a.o
>>> domain names as of this transition?
>>> (2) goes away this needs attention. This is
>>> the major unknown.
>>> We do have a version of this page in the website migration. It is
>>> rather clean. I think the page handles a missing mirror brain, but I
>>> don't know if it handles it well. The version that was cleaned up is
>>> in the AOOo project svn in ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/.
>>> (3) and are hosted at
>>> OSUOSL and will be retained. They still need work on Drupal upgrades,
>>> the OSUOSL admins have turned their noisy Nagios checks off and we
>>> have to report outages to ourselves. They are
>>> usually responsive by the business day AM in US Pacific Time Zone.
>>> (4) All other *.services.oo.o are going away. If any of these are
>>> important to you please recall that Andrew Rist has mentioned that he
>>> does have a backup of everything. Please contact him about other
>>> services, if you would like to resurrect them.
>>> (5) Some consideration will need to be made about changes needed to
>>> the Kenai based due to the services change.
>>> These topics can't wait, but I don't have any more bandwidth for AOOo
>>> until Sunday night or Monday.
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

View raw message