incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: handling of ext_sources - Juergen's suggestion [was: Re: A systematic approach to IP review?]
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:23:09 GMT
On 20.09.2011 15:58, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Armin Le Grand<Armin.Le.Grand@me.com>  wrote:
>> On 20.09.2011 15:33, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

> So are we saying we would never need to branch or tag these files?
>
> For example, suppose we release AOOo 3.4.0, and then later we release AOOo 4.0.
>
> Then someone finds a serious security flaw in AOOo 3.4.0, and we
> decide to release an AOOo 3.4.1 as well as a AOOo 4.0.1.
>
> Would we be able to do this?  What if the flaw was related to code in
> ext_sources?
>
> And if not us, in the project, what if some "downstream consumer" of
> AOOo 3.4.0 wants to rebuild 3.4.0 later, for a patch or whatever.  But
> we've already updated ext_sources for AOOo 4.0?
>
> In other words, how do we track, in SVN, a compatible set of matching
> trunk/ and ext_source/ revisions, so we (or someone else) can recreate
> any released version of AOOo?

Good point. Thus, it should be part of incubator/ooo/trunk, something like:

incubator/ooo/trunk/main
incubator/ooo/trunk/extras
incubator/ooo/trunk/ext_sources

It could be in an own repro, but this would just bring up the risk to
not use the same tags in both (by purpose or by error).

Indeed, looks as if it has to be a part of trunk somehow. Not very nice
for binaries.

Maybe we could find a intermediate place for them as long as we will
need to do changes pretty often. Currently we will have to do some
add/remove/changes to it. It could be good to add them to trunk after it
has stabilized a little more.