incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Fix me: Abnormalities during bootstrap
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:36:32 GMT
Hi,

>>> Probably you have been hit by the well-known bug in GNU Make 3.81 that
>>> lets it core-dump at times. This needs to be solved, the developers of
>>> Libre Office have gained some experience with that.
>>
>> GNU Make 3.8.1 is installed on my machine but I thought that dmake
>> is always used instead ?
>
> Not in the new gbuildified modules. Best to use a self-baked make 3.82,
> available from http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/make/
>
> Check if the breaks occur in dmake'd modules or in gbuild'ed modules,
> the easily identifiable difference is that in gbuild modules there are
> Module_*.mk files in the modules' roots.

>>> If you used VC Express: IIRC the documentation mentions that this is
>>> necessary in that case.
>>
>> Yes it is MSVC++ Express 2008 using Cygwin.
>
> There may be some issues with make 3.82 in cygwin, give it a try.

Now I've compiled version 3.82 and will give it a try. This information
would be woth a mention within the building guide.

>> btw. I wonder about the low CPU load during compile job (max. 50%).
>> Is there a way to allow dmake to parallelize compile jobs ?
>
> cd instsetoo_native&&  build --all -P3 -- -P2
>
> for example creates 3 build processe in different directories, each
> spawning a dmake with 2 parallel targets, so up to 6 jobs.

Thank you Eike and Mathias for providing this information. I should have
read the building guide more carefully. I just stopped reading before
the section about parallel builds...

Joost