incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:34:57 GMT

On 12 Sep 2011, at 10:55, Ross Gardler wrote:

> We need to manage this carefully. A Japanes language list to ensure
> non-English speaking people are able to participate in the project is
> fine. A Japanese language list for creating a different version of OOo
> for the Japanese market is not fine.

The reality is likely to be somewhere in-between. For example, the PT-BR localisation of OOo
was the subject of extensive discussion in Portuguese about exactly how to translate various
aspects of the UI, none of which would be of great relevance to English-speakers but which
was still development discussion. The same would be likely to apply to every locale.

Since there will inevitably be unique development discussion in each supported language, does
your direction here mean every localisation needs to be a separate Apache project?

S.