incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:04:20 GMT

On Sep 7, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Reizinger Zoltán <zreizinger@hdsnet.hu>
>> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Why you think the volunteers and admins will join to this list, if you
>> not
>>> makes any steps into the other directions?
>>>

>> I'm assuming the volunteers and admins want positive results.  The
>> decision-making in the project occurs on this list -- ooo-dev -- by
>> participants making and discussing proposals.    So I think that
>> volunteers and admins should join and participate in this list so they
>> can engage in an open, two-way conversation on how the project,
>> including the support forums, are run.
>>
>> Remember, I am just one person, with my own ppinion.  I have only one
>> vote.  I don't make the decisions myself.  But if an admin or other
>> forum volunteer is not participating on the ooo-dev list at all, then
>> their opinions will likely be unheard and their vote uncounted.  That
>> is why you should encourage them to participate on the ooo-dev list.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Honestly this seems like mailing lists are an awful way to take decision.
> Someones votes will be swamped by the hundred of other emails comenting and
> flamewaring making the vote completely disappeared. We need better software
> to account this voiting, like a poll or something similar.
> We need to consider two things, what people decide and their reasoning. So
> mailing list is good to express opinion or responses. But is bad to account
> how many people actually say I am forward this or I still havent make a
> decision.

+1, they are when a few individuals dominate the conversation making it difficult for consensus
to build or solutions to be defined. Instead we went round and round.

I am getting the feeling that if someone ever puts together a concrete proposal that we are
going to need to have a [VOTE], but probably not one where a single -1 is a veto.

My opinion.

Regards,
Dave