incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [LINUX-BUILD] Developer Education -- Building on Linux event starts now
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 07:13:05 GMT
Hi,

Le 6 sept. 11 à 20:21, Rob Weir a écrit :

> As a reminder, the blog post on this event is here:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/
> apache_openoffice_org_developer_education

Can we aggregate with another blog (.e.g mine ?) ? I'd like to
explain what we currently do with the students from Epitech Paris,
I'm mentoring, or what is scheduled with the 2 other who'll join us
soon (from Ecole Centrale Nantes, France)

> By my calculations it is already tomorrow in Asia, albeit very early.
>  But it is a good idea to started with the thread.
>
> Those who can help are encouraged to monitor the list as well as
> #dev.openoffice.org on freenode.  As we get reports of issues,
> respond with them on this thread.  We can then go back through the
> read at a later date to pull out issues we can address in the
> documentationand/or the build scripts.
>
> What are we looking for?
>
> 1) Errors in the build instructions

I didn't use it, but after some little cleanup, it should be ok.

> 2)  Errors in the build system that broke due to migration to SVN

A) Known issues (verified on Mac, Windows and Linux) :

* some missing files, causing breakages : http://ftp.educoo.org/home/
ericb/patches/apache_ooo/apache_ooo_missing.tar.gz

Once fixed the missing files above, the en-US set can be built
everywhere.

B) More important :

* l10n causes a big breakage, and you must avoid using --with-lang= ...

If ever a workaround exists, we should put it online, urgently.

Have people building Apache OpenOffice.org is extremely important,
and I'm ready to help the one interested.

C) Design issue :

Last but not least, we have Oracle logo at launch, in the
splashscreen, and I'd like to know whether there is a plan for a new
Design ? Ben Bois, our Designer (he did OOo4Kids and OOoLight
design), is ok to help for new colors, and so on.

On my side, I know well this part of code, and I could even replace
the .bmp with a .png file at launch in the splashscreen. Better : we
(including me) could mentor a student to make it ?

> 3) Encouraging new developers to start hacking with the code, to
> grow the community

FYI, I'm mentoring several students (4, from Epitech Paris, and soon
2 from Ecole Centrale Nantes), around OpenOffice.org source code.
they started with OOo4Kids, and are now building OpenOffice.org

That's what we do, but to achieve that, we must have a way to
communicate. Is there someone able to help us, on the coomunication
side ?

Regards,
Eric

--