incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 10:54:12 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:03:34 +0200
> Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>> I think making ooo-forums another podling is way easier than
>> integrating it into ooo-dev.
>
> Christian: I have posted this suggestion to the Forum as I think it worthy of consideration.
 I made the following comment in my posting:

Thanks. I would have suggested that by myself in the forum but it
seems my account got deactivated.

>> I think it has much merit, as a Support Forum for whatever
>> application has different requirements to those of the developers
>> of the application.  It doesn't overlap with them other than to
>> serve as a forwarding filter for bugs and suggestions for improvement,
>> having no direct input into the code of the project.

I think named the essence.

the forums are simply a project of itself; working structures, working
team. Of course there are adaptions to be made when running as an ASF
project. But there is no need to fit into the ASF on the one hand and
into a huge development project on the other.

That being said, I would help with incubation. In addition I think
that the community@a.o project is interested in the suggested podling
as this is a real and huge community project with only less technic
(the phpBB board - and I do not know were the code for that is
currently).