incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:28:57 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 14:15 -0400, drew wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 19:23 +0200, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > we have spoken much - now its time to outline what needs to be done. I
>> > have started a Wiki page with that:
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Changes+integrate+the+forums+into+the+AOOo+project
>> >
>> > Lets bring the talk into shapes.
>>
>> Thanks for that Christian.
>
> sorry - a double post.
>>
>> My only real question is regarding the moderators needing to be part of
>> the PMC - I'm not at all sure I see that need.
>
> just to be clear - although I would encourage mod's to be in the PMC my
> question is about making it a hard requirement.

I'd think of it this way:

We don't want a stranger to walk off the street and be immediately a
moderator, right?  It requires some level of vetting.  A moderator can
ban users, they can kick real people off the boards if they do not
like their behavior. So it is a position of authority.  A Moderator is
an important role with real influence.  They, through their decisions,
help set the tone of the forum and represent the "public face" of
Apache OpenOffice.

How do we ensure, as a project, that the right people are given that
responsibility?  In other words, in what way does the PPMC oversee
this?  One way would be to use the committer proposal/approval
process.  Something less formal, is what we do with mailing list
moderators.  We propose a name to ooo-dev, in public, seek lazy
consensus, and then ask Apache Infra to add their names.  They don't
need to be a committer, but they require nomination and lazy consensus
approval.

-Rob