incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: draft blog post on the Linux build education event
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:44:42 GMT
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/9/1 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> https://blogs.apache.org/roller-ui/authoring/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=apache_openoffice_org_developer_education
>>

> how can I login?

Oh... I was hoping you could all see that.  Darn.  There was a call
for logins for authors and editors for the blog a while ago [1].
Gavin gave people permission.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ez25wgbpf4z47f5g

In any case, here is the text. You're missing the picture and the
hyperlinks, but you can get the idea:

====================

==Developer Education==

It is September.  Time for cooler weather and time to go back to
school.  The Apache OpenOffice.org podling is ready for the season
with events to help developers learn more about OpenOffice.org.

Do you want to learn how to build Apache OpenOffice.org on Linux?  Do
you want to take the first steps towards becoming an OpenOffice
hacker?  Do you want to help test, review and improve our build
instructions, on any one of a variety of Linux distros?  If so, you
will not want to miss this event.

Next week, from Wed September 7th through Saturday September 10th we
will be making a concerted effort to enable everyone who wants to be
able to build OpenOffice. This will be the first of a series of
Developer Education topics we hope to deliver.  Others may include how
to build on Windows and Mac, and how to work on particular OpenOffice
features.

This will be a virtual event, with collaboration on the ooo-dev
mailing list and on IRC.  Members of the OpenOffice.org podling will
be on hand to help anyone who wishes to get started with OpenOffice
development on Linux.

==How to Get Involved==

There are a few things you should do to prepare for this event:

    1) Find a Linux machine, at least 1GB RAM and 75 GB free disk space

    2) Run any updates needed to make your distro current

    3) Download the latest source code for OpenOffice.org via Subversion.

    4) Before Wednesday, sign up for the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
mailing list.

    5) Bookmark the OpenOffice.org Building Guide.  This is the
documentation we'll be following, and correcting.

    6) Starting on Wednesday, follow the discussions on the ooo-dev
mailing list.  We'll use a subject tag of [LINUX-BUILD] for threads
related to this event.

    7) Also starting on Wednesday, join us on IRC: irc.freenode.net
on channel #dev.openoffice.org