incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ooo-myspell at apache-extras.org
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:29:19 GMT
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com> wrote:
> Hi Gianluca;
> Is your work related to this version?
> http://members.xoom.it/trasforma/ispell/
> Just wondering if we have to contact them too.
> With respect to Hunspell vs. Myspell, there is still no decision and I thinkthat will
have to wait until the Oracle SGA is in.
> HunSpell is copyleft so we cannot include it. We could include MySpelland the free (less-restricted)
dictionaries we can get and have an optionfor Hunspell, or we could make Myspell an extension.

HunSpell code is tri-licensed under GPL/LGPL/MPL.

If I understand corectly, Apache considers MPL 1.1 to be "weak
copyleft" and we have some limited ways (as a binary of using it in
our releases.

See here for details:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Individual dictionaries, however, can have their own license as you
know.  So there may be some that we cannot include in the release, but
we can still point the user to.

> Both would work for me, I just wanted to make sure MySpell could bepreserved before the
Oracle OpenOffice site disappears.
> cheers,
> Pedro.

re-licensing the original MySpell dictionary as far as it is included in a AOOo user-oriented
binary release, if and when it will be released.

> However, the Italian dictionary has a 10-years long history of improvement under LGPL/GPL
and several different co-author. The current version is simply a lot better than the original
one whose copyright rights I own.

> So, the re-licensing would be, IMO, just a regression. Of course, a less complete dictionary
is always better than nothing, from a user point of view. ;-)

> However, I haven't understood yet (this list is sometimes really overwhelming), what
linguistic tools will be used in AOO:

> 1) MySpell or Hunspell?
> 2) for hyphenation?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gianluca
> --
> Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza, fantasy, horror, noir,
narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: