incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: An invitation to committers to the OOo Community Forums
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:21:34 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Rory O'Farrell <> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 13:51:56 -0400
> Rob Weir <> wrote:
>> Just so I am perfectly clear.  There should be two kinds of project discussions:
>> 1) Those that are in public
>> and
>> 2) Those that are in private because they deal with matters that are
>> sensitive, such as handling of confidential information
>> There is no third category of: "Discussions behind the scene are not
>> proposals; they emerge into one or more consensuses"  Discussions like
>> that need to start happening in public, just like the discussions we
>> are having right now are in public.  We don't reach consensus and then
>> do a perfunctory post of a proposal, fait accompli.  That is not
>> transparency.  From beginning to end we discuss in public.
> Do you never walk to the water cooler and float something by someone else, as a preparatory
stage in working out yuour thoughts?

That would be permitted.  Ditto for private email exchanges, chat
sessions, etc.  But we're not going to conduct ordinarily,
non-confidential project business on a private list with 70+
subscribers.  That is a cabal, not a water cooler conversation.

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <>

View raw message