incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Having New Committers also be on the PPMC
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:57:07 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 Sep 2011, at 19:15, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> We have never adopted a formal position of having everyone be a
>>> committer and PPMC member.  So if we did not change anything, we would
>>> still not have such a policy. I'm not arguing against the status quo
>>> of not having such a policy.
>>
>> You appear to be arguing against the status quo of all new committers joining the
PPMC though. So my question remains, is there really a problem with waiting until graduation
to adjust this project's PMC?

> That is a counter-factual question. That is not the status quo.  We
> have no such rule.  For example, we already have one committer who is
> not on the PPMC.  I expect we'll have more unless a restrictive rule
> is imposed that requires that both roles be simultaneously assigned.
>
> The status quo is for a PPMC member to nominate a person and to
> specify what they are nominating the for.  There is no further
> restriction.  I'm not in favor of restricting this further.  Are you?

Maybe this analogy will help.  Suppose you go to work every day with
an umbrella, but for 40 straight days it doesn't rain.  You never use
your umbrella in that period of time.

If a law was passed that said you could not carry an umbrella, would
that be a change?  Or would you argue that the status quo had not
changed?

I'm not arguing in favor of rain.  I'm just arguing that umbrellas are
sometimes useful, even if it has not rained in a while.