incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] Removal of Windows build requirement on unicows.dll - issue 88652
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:13:37 GMT
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 09/28/2011 01:39 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think the vendor support lifetime for a consumer OS has bring the
>>> end of application support on that OS.  What is known is that there will
>>> be further service packs, maybe not even OS security patches, but it
>>> isn't
>>> as if they decay and die.  Many machines run much longer than the support
>>> life of the OS, and upgrades may not be feasible.
>
> +1
>
> I don't see a direct need to drop any OS support only because it is to old
> or it seems to be. To point to Microsoft and tell the users "they don't
> support it anymore, so we drop the support too" isn't a good argument.
>
> When we leave the baseline at Windows 2000 (or whereever it is at the
> moment) and tell the user we can give a "guarantee" (don't take this word to
> seriously ;-) ) for WinXP and newer, it should be OK. Then there is still a
> possibility to get it installed and started on Win2000.
>
>> The nice thing is a user of Windows 98 or 2000 can still download old
>> versions of OOo and run them.  And they can do that for free.  And
>> they always will be able to do this.
>>
>> The question is not whether we retroactively support for older
>> versions of Windows.  They question is whether we maintain that
>> support going forward, in new releases of the product.
>
> Yes, and as long as there are no real technical problems I don't see a need
> to drop the support.
>
> If there *is already* or *will be* a technical limitation (e.g., API things
> or system integration) that is a hurdle for going on in supporting newer Win
> versions, then we have a good reason to drop the support for older versions.

In reality it works like this:  The moment we stop making the
proactive effort to test on a platform, the experience of users on
that platform will start to degrade.  It will degrade over time until
it totally fails.

So the question is not really about a deliberate effort to "drop"
support for older versions of Windows.  The question is whether there
are volunteers willing to test and patch the build to support older
versions of Windows.  If not, then that fact -- not our words -- will
determine what versions of Windows are actually supported.