incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:01:50 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/09/11 17:22, Simon Phipps wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 4, 2011 5:14 PM, "Rob Weir"<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Another thing to note is that the existing forum volunteers do not
>>> "own" the support forums.  They do not operate autonomously.
>>
>> Are you sure? I believe they do.
>
> +1 to Simons view  -1 to Rob.
>
> AFAIK, A Sun admin has logged onto this services maybe half-a-dozen times to
> install the base O/S and Coolstack years ago, and no "Oracle"
> Oracle-employed admin has ever done so.  Coolstack is years out of date for
> this reason.   I (assisted by Drew in the early days) do all of the root
> admin as well as run the Forums.
>
> They have always been autonomous from the OOo project organisation
> hierarchy.  The initial decision to allow their creation in the first place
> was more of a Sun one than an OOo project one -- as the project didn't see
> the need to have a working User Community and Sun did and provided the box
> for us to run our service on, though in later years the project came to
> value the role that the forums have played.
>
> So from day 1 the forums have always been autonomous.  And one key driver
> here was so that the community could have the freedom to up-sticks and take
> their knowledge elsewhere should the relationship break down -- our primary
> allegiance and service duty is to the end-user community, and not to a
> development project.  The last friction was over the whole issue of whether
> the forums should continue to support non-Oracle variants such as
> LibreOffice, which it did and still does against some then strong Oracle
> opinions.
>
> I think that both Drew and I have said this on a number of occasions.  To
> demand that the community unilaterally surrender such autonomy without
> reasonable engagement is a pretty sure way IMHO to force them to consider
> the "new home" option.  Despite all of the hassle over the last few days, my
> preference would be to vote to stay, but I am only one voice in what I think
> is currently a minority opinion.

I think it would be good if they made up their mind soon.  I thought
we were close to the physical migration being completed.  If the
current volunteers are not on board with the Apache project, then
we'll need to explore alternative approaches, such as:

1) Point users to http://www.oooforum.org/

2) Do support via mailing list only

3) Use forums, but find new volunteers