incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Lists] Moderation policy for ooo-users
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 19:40:29 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> Before traffic starts showing up on the new ooo-users list, is there any process we want
or need to follow in moderating posts to ooo-users? Do I need to advise anyone when I have
bounced posts? Should I be conferring with other moderators and if so, how and when?

Main day-to-day activity is to review messages that are sent to the
list by a non-subscriber.  All moderators will get a notification when
this happens.  Even of ooo-dev this happens several times a day.
This generally is in one of three categories:

1) Spam

2) A list subscriber sending from a different email address than the
one they used to sign up with

3) A non-subscriber sending a note, not spam, but maybe a one-time notification

The moderator has three main actions available:

1) Reject the message.  This is the default if all the moderators do nothing.

2) Pass the message through to the list, by clicking the embedded link
or doing a Reply

3) Pass the message and allow future messages from the same address,
by doing a Reply to All

I don't see any need for conferring on these kinds of decisions.
You'll know spam when you see it.  Others should generally be let
through.

On rarer occasions you might have someone sign up for the list and
then start spamming, or other exhibit abusive behavior.  In that case
I'd recommend bringing it up to ooo-private.  You can post there even
if not a PPMC member, and we can cc you on the responses.

-Rob