incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Is it worth looking at Confluence Wiki Again?
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:12:03 GMT
Moving this point to its own thread

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 17:30 -0400, TJ Frazier wrote:
>> On 9/6/2011 13:43, Matt Richards wrote:
>> > Well, I thought Terry has resigned from the project according to another
>> > thread, leaving the wiki migration at a bit of a stand still. Figured I
>> > could step in and pick up where he left off on this. Am I able to, as a
>> > non-contributor reach out to Apache Infra on this (from what I read it seems
>> > the infra ML are for existing contributors only)? Not sure who all is
>> > involved at this point.
>>
>> As Pedro commented, you don't need a newbie to help with the conversion.
>> But in the long run, I volunteer to learn whatever is needed to support
>> the MW system. All I have to offer is that I am a sysop on the live
>> wiki,
>
> You have root level access to the current box in Hamburg?
>
> Thanks,

Another option to consider is that of content translation: MediaWiki
to Confluence.  Remember. Confluence is fully supported by Apache
Infra.  We would also find a lot of people on the list who could help
write and test wiki text conversion code.  It is just string
manipulation, right?  How hard can that be?  Even I can help with
that.

But seriously, the MW plans were always precarious.  We did not have a
deep bench of expertise on the sys admin side of that package.  Even
if we have a volunteer or two step in now, aren't we still rather
thin?  Wouldn't we still be one "life change" away from being back
where we are now?  But if we can figure out a content-level migration
to Confluence wiki, then we would have something much more sustainable
long term.

Just an idea.

-Rob