incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:04:14 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> I have posted a draft for review on the wiki and below.  Changes and improvements can
be made on the Wiki page.  If you propose to modify the page, please make it known here so
that collisions can be avoided.

> Suggestions here will be selectively incorporated into the Wiki page.  The deadline
is Wednesday, 2011-09-14.

>  - Dennis
>
> *** INITIAL DRAFT BEING REVIEWED BY PODLING:
>
> * OpenOffice.org entered incubation 2011-06-13.
>
> OpenOffice.org is an open-source, office-document productivity suite providing six productivity
applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).  OpenOffice.org is released on multiple
platforms.  Its localizations support 110 languages worldwide.

> * Most important to address
>
> 1) Migration of the legacy OpenOffice.org website's content and services to Apache infrastructure,
including defect tracking, wiki, forums, mailing lists, and cross-service registration using
customized software not already supported by Apache projects and infrastructure.  Successful
negotiation of governance migration of user-supported services brought under incubation.

> 2) Completion of the IP-review portions of the incubation checklist, which will require
getting an amended SGA from Oracle to cover additional source files; scrubbing of incompatible
notices from SGA-licensed code and resolving provenance of other existing materials being
migrated.

> 3) A Successful Podling Release
>
> * Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness
>
> The code base pulled over from OpenOffice.org is undergoing development while incompatible
notices remain on the granted code.  This is separate from the scrubbing of dependencies
on incompatibly-licensed material.  RECOMMENDATION: Continue OpenOffice monthly reporting
for another quarter while IP cleanup is pending.

> The current committers are not equipped to fully resource the migration of OpenOffice.org
sites and services under Apache OOo incubation.  Preservation of the Wiki is in doubt because
of resource and support limitations.   Cutover of mailing-list and registration/forwarding
systems is not resourced at all.  The ability to make anticipatory modifications of OpenOffice.org
in preparation for staging is also limited, with volunteer support and administration of the
live system possibly eroding.

> Discussions with contributors of current user-oriented documentation have broken off;
 it is likely that the status quo will continue to be with user-guide contributions made
separately and under licenses the authors prefer.  This is not an immediate issue unless
replacement with ALv2 licensed materials is urgent.  Having updated user-guides reflecting
details and features of future Apache releases is worrisome.

I think the above misses the point of this section of the report.  The
IPMC and the ASF Board are not project managers overseeing the
progress of the podling's work.  They are not concerned about
"resourcing" the effort. That is our concern, the PPMC.  We need to
deal with it.

This should be the place to raise any issues that we have that the ASF
Board or IPMC can actually deal with.  Merely noting that work is hard
is not really a useful insight.

> * Community development progress
>
> As of 2011-09-12 there are 72 committers, with 55 on the PPMC, up from 71 and 52 at last
report.  Eleven initial committers have failed to submit iCLAs and are out of communication.

> Discussion is underway with the operators of the existing OpenOffice.org forums for migration
of the forums into incubation, with  adjustment of governance to provide appropriate PPMC
and Foundation oversight.

> An ooo-user incubator mailing list has begun, and there are few user-oriented posts and
requests so far; any preservation, migration, or replacement of other lists remains to be
resolved.  A Japanese-language ooo- incubator list is starting.

> A "Building OpenOffice.org for Linux" hackfest was announced on the project blog and
carried out over the Internet in the first full week of September.

> * Project development progress
>
> The OpenOffice.org trademarks have been transferred to Apache.  The OpenOffice.org domain-name
registrations are being transferred to Apache.

> The OpenOffice.org Issue Tracking Bugzilla has been moth-balled as read-only and an Apache
Bugzilla established for continuation of Issue Tracking under the podling.

> The main code base has been transferred to Apache SVN and is being actively tested and
modified.  Merging of additional work spaces from OpenOffice.org, and preservation of versioning
history is being pursued.  The current effort is focused on successful build of a counterpart
of the last complete build at OpenOffice.org.

> Test configurations of the OpenOffice.org forum system and the OpenOffice.org Wiki have
been brought up on Apache infrastructure fixtures.   Cutover of the forum system is anticipated
as part of the OpenOffice.org migration.   Other services may languish for lack of podling
resources.

> Detailed planning continues on public wiki:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/

will put an update on the list and request review.