incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:04:37 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> There is a small control domain where any Hosting or sponsoring organisation
> may decide to define a set of constraints on the subgroups for which it is
> responsible.  It may also wish to shape direction.   This issue is for the
> mentors to give guidance on.
>
> Look, I am not practising a Christian, but even I know Matthew 22:21:
> "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s ... "   Here you are just
> another PPMC member, and you have absolutely no track record on running
> forums, as far as I know.   In my view, you should leave the running of user
> community forums to people who know how to run these forums and have been
> doing it for years.  Ditto, developers are the best people to work out how
> to develop, etc., or are you going to start people how to debug code next?
>
> Surely we all stick to should our core competencies, and win the trust of
> other groups before we stick our noses it their business.  I phrase it this
> way because I know that the same criticism could also be applied to me.

Terry, your penchant for whipping out your resume at the slightest
provocation as been noted, and dismissed, elsewhere on the list.  It
is an approach that lacks substance .  It reminds me those small
aquatic creatures (does anyone know the name?), who lacking any other
defense mechanisms puff themselves up to look much larger that they
are, in hopes of intimidating potential foes.  I suppose it works for
fish.  It does not work for me.  I'm not impressed.  But luckily I'm
not a foe either.  I'm here to help.

I've listed some important, substantive concerns with the integration
of the forums to Apache.  My support is contingent on a reasonable
plan for addressing these issues.

These concerns rest on their own logic and should be self evident to
anyone who reads them and has even passing familiarity with how Apache
works.  These points do not rely on my CV.  But since you raise the
issue, you might be interested to know that yes, I have setup and
admin'ed a community forum,  based on phpBB.  I later migrated it to
vBulletin because I wanted some of the social features on that
platform, including Facebook integration.  I've also, in my career,
been in a support role, delivering commercial support, both for end
user applications as well as developers tools.  I've worked also in a
support technology team, collaborating with a local university's
information retrieval lab to integrate their cutting edge technology
into our support tools.  In that role I also worked closely with
technical editors to tighten the feedback cycle between customers,
support engineers and technical writers.  And I've also worked as a
programmer on an office suite,  C/C++, as well as related components
in Java and ActiveX, moving on to become a software architect, etc.,
as well as working on related standards and strategic topics.  So I've
had a nice career working general in this area.  I've seen this from
end-to-end.  I may not have worked in your small corner of the world,
but I do have perspective on what is necessary to bring this effort to
scale.  I get the "big picture", although I acknowledge that my vision
is by no means the only vision possible.

In any case,  my points stand on their own rather than on my CV.

Do you have any substantive response to my concerns?  I tried to be
comprehensive.  In most cases these are issues that have been raised
elsewhere on the list, by me or others.  You might think of this as an
outline for a proposal that the Forum Volunteers might want to make on
ooo-dev for how they want to integrate into the project.  These are
the kinds of points you would want to address in the proposal.

-Rob