incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planet OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:08:01 GMT
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 7 sept. 11 à 16:10, Rob Weir a écrit :
>
>> I didn't see this listed in the transition planning page [1] but we should
>> note that OOo had a community blog aggregator called Planet OpenOffice.org
>> [2],  (The site appears to be down at the moment).
>>
>> Is there any interest in seeing this, or something similar continue for
>> AOOo?
>>
>> Apache does have a cross-project aggregator, for official project and ASF
>> blogs [3], as well as an aggregator of Committer blogs [4].  But do we want
>> an aggregator of OOo-related blogs, including the wider community, not just
>> project committers?
>>

> I'd prefer close to development.
>

>> This would not be hard to set up.  The Planet or Venus software is python,
>> which works on a config file and a template.  You run it as a
>> cron job, generating static HTML files, so very efficient and secure.
>>
>> What do we think?  Should we bring this over?  Any volunteers?
>>

> Yes, please !
>

>> [2] http://planet.services.openoffice.org/
>> [3] http://blogs.apache.org/
>> [4] http://planet.apache.org/committers/
>
> +1 to migrate OpenOffice.org Planet as well.
>
> Unfortunaly, I have no skill to make that, excepted test, and provide
> feedback.

I've setup and admin'ed an aggregator using Sam Ruby's Planet Venus
package.  This was for ODF-related blogs:

http://planet.opendocumentformat.org/

I'd be happy to set something like that up from scratch.  For me that
would be far easier than trying to understand how OOo did it
previously.  But if anyone understands the existing Planet
OpenOffice.org, and is willing to help, that would probably be better.
But I can create a new planet if we have no better choice.