incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:52:00 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> The assumption behind this recommendation seems to be that all
>> mail clients are the same and the list is read the same by
>> everyone.
>
> Choosing to use inadequate tools is no excuse to be bad mannered.

The interesting thing is that there may be people who don't know they
are using the wrong tools. If someone has not participated in a list
like this before, then they the mail client on their desktop may not
be configured suitably for participating in this list.  They may need
to change the configuration, or even change their application.  I

Does anyone know a list of what mail apps are known to work well and
which ones poorly, and which ones require config changes?

For example, Lotus Notes (which I have by default on my desktop) does
not collapse quoted sections, so using it for following the list was a
nightmare.  Gmail is much better in that regard and is what I use now.

Any recommendations (ideally for each platform) for what works well?
And what should be avoided?

-Rob