incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:26:23 GMT
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> You criticise me for whipping out a résumé then list off a far longer one of
> your own accomplishments.  The main point that I draw from this rather
> comprehensive list is that few if any are relevant to the running of an
> end-user support organisation in 10 languages which is the scope of this
> discussion.  You might have run a forum. Big deal.  You know very little

We're discussing support forums within this Apache project.  That is
something which the PPMC must come to a consensus on.

If you want to create a support forum outside of the Apache project
then you do not need the approval of the PPMC.  I don't see that
outcome as at all tragic.  We already have one independent forum. I
see no reason why there cannot be two or more.  I don't really have a
strong opinion on that.

The choice is entirely yours.  I'd recommend consulting more with the
other forum volunteers, and see if you can reach a consensus among
yourselves on what you want to do.  If the consensus is to move the
forums into this Apache project, then the forum volunteers should
write up a proposal, post it to ooo-dev, and then we can discuss and
try to get consensus from the PPMC on the proposal.  I'd be happy to
review or comment on a draft of such a proposal, here, via private
email or on the forums, if you want.  But plowing ahead, with neither
consensus among the forum admins, nor consensus in the PPMC, nor even
a concrete proposal, this is not an realistic way of moving forward.

My -1 is a veto on ramming this through without a concrete proposal
that has been approved by the PPMC.  I have substantive questions on
how the forums would operate within an Apache project, and I've
written these up.  If there is eventually consensus from the forum
volunteers to propose moving to Apache then I will be looking there
for these questions to be addressed.

-Rob