incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of existing OOo user guides
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:54:56 GMT
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 23:02, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think Rob's suggestions for "boldly going where OOo Docs have not
>>> gone before" are good ones, but they won't happen immediately. In the
>>> short term (for the next release of the software), we are most likely
>>> to have a choice between updated CC-BY-licensed user guides, or no
>>> user guides at all.
>>>

>> Take a  look at the Subversion home page and the link they have on the
>> left.  We could do something like that if we wanted.  That is a good
>> short-term approach.  It could even work longer term, though I think
>> it is a growth-limiting choice.
>

> I think that is the most workable solution for the short term. We
> discussed it here some time ago and I at least looked at the
> Subversion home page and link and thought it was a good way to go.
>
> However, I am not sure where we should put the documents so they could
> be linked from the AOOo website. ODFAuthors is a production site, not
> really suitable in its present state for delivery of documents IMO. I
> suppose we could redesign this page
> http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org and add whatever other pages
> might be needed.

What is the concern with hosting the doc at ODFAuthors? Is the
load/bandwidth a concern?  If so, one alternative would be to upload
the doc to Apache-Extra.org.  Projects there are hosted by Google
Code, and also agree to these guidelines:

http://community.apache.org/apache-extras/guidelines.html

This is a good option for things that are not part of the project, but
somehow related to the project.

-Rob