incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [proposal][www][lazy] Apache CMS Site for the Website Migration
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:43:13 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
> I would like to propose the following change in approach for the migration of the
website to Apache. We should split the site svn tree into two separate trees. This will allow
us to quickly address the divergent license, copyright, and footer issues with clarity and
without working against the Apache CMS's framework.
> Mixing the migration with the incubator site as subfolders is now a plroblem.
I realized I was about to bloody my forehead - bash my head against a wall.
> Here are the details.
> (1) Split the current ooo/site/trunk/ and create ooo/ooosite/trunk/. Move all of the migrated content to the ooo/ooosite/ site tree. Each site will now have its
own templates/skeleton.html with correct license headers, copyrights, and terms.
> (2) Request that infrastructure attach the new ooo/ooosite/ tree to the cms buildbot
and webgui. If Infrastructure is willing I propose -
> If it must start as part of the incubator then
> (3) Every AOOo committer will be enabled to use the Apache CMS's webgui to make edits
in order to align the site's policies to the new project. It has been confirmed that it is
possible to edit the source html in the WebGUI / Bookmarklet. As Dennis has written these
should be minimal.
> (4) No changeover of the current until the project agrees.

If you are going to maintain nearly identical content on two websites
simultaneously for any length of time, you might try to inject a <link
rel="canonical" href=""> into
the pages served up by the Apache CMS.  That will help prevent any
confusion to Google.  It essentially instructs Google to consider the version of the page to be the real one.   This is
important for SEO.

For details:

> I'll start the tree splitting process this Friday in 72 hours allowing plenty of time
for comments and consensus.
> Regards,
> Dave

View raw message