incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An invitation to committers to the OOo Community Forums
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:51:56 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 12:35:05 -0400
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> This is really easy to resolve:
>>
>> 1) Discussions on evolving forum policies and rules must occur on
>> ooo-dev.  These are tantamount to proposals, and they are subject to
>> Apache Way decision making, just like any other part of the project.
>> If I wanted to suggest a different editing policy for the community
>> wiki, or a new moderation policy for ooo-users, I would be slapped
>> down if I raised it on ooo-private.  The transparency principle
>> applies equally to the forums.
>
> Discussions behind the scene are not proposals; they emerge into one or more consensuses,
which are then considered as proposals and a selection made. I doubt there will be much objection
to this.

Just so I am perfectly clear.  There should be two kinds of project discussions:

1) Those that are in public

and

2) Those that are in private because they deal with matters that are
sensitive, such as handling of confidential information

There is no third category of: "Discussions behind the scene are not
proposals; they emerge into one or more consensuses"  Discussions like
that need to start happening in public, just like the discussions we
are having right now are in public.  We don't reach consensus and then
do a perfunctory post of a proposal, fait accompli.  That is not
transparency.  From beginning to end we discuss in public.

>> 2) Non-confidential, day-to-day operations of the forum should occur
>> in a publicly-readable forum, or on a new public mailing list. I'd let
>> the forum volunteers decide which.
>
> Such a publicly readable form is the Forum, which is openly accessible; to post to it
requires a User to choose a Username and to indicate his OS and version of OOo or OOo fork,

Great.

>> 3) Private discussions on confidential matters, including your
>> grandmother, occur either on ooo-private or on a private forum that
>> echos its posts to ooo-private.  Again, I'd let the forum volunteers
>> decide which.
>
> These occur on three dedicated channels as I outlined earlier; the offer is there to
allow interested Apache personel access to them immediately.  A more public (even if still
private mechanism) can be worked out, such as that they can be automatically echoed to a monitorong
list.  Much of the discussion is merely administrative and may increase the load on such
monitoring lists.

If you get so much spam that the load from notifications are
significant then we should look at enabling SpamAssassin to work with
phBB Forum.

> I will echo this posting to the private OOo channels - perhaps we are now getting somewhere?

Possibly, but the fact that you are still debating this in a private
forum suggests that what I'm saying is not yet fully understood.