incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Having New Committers also be on the PPMC
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:15:03 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2011, at 18:47, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I agree let's not make it adversarial.  But I would be interested to
>> know why Simon speaks up in favor of us have a congress-sized PMC,
>
> I said nothing of the kind, please stop putting words in my mouth. I simply asked why
you felt the need for change. You have so far not answered my questions and each time I have
repeated them have evaded them by raising orthogonal issues.

We have never adopted a formal position of having everyone be a
committer and PPMC member.  So if we did not change anything, we would
still not have such a policy. I'm not arguing against the status quo
of not having such a policy.

Ross is arguing for adopting such a policy.  I disagree with that
change.  I think we should continue to take it case-by-case, at the
PPMC's discretion, assigning roles as we see appropriate. It may
continue to be the case that it is usually appropriate to have people
assigned both roles at once.  But I see no reason to introduce a new
rule to force that decision, when we've never had such a rule before.

-Rob

> Given you agree there is no current harm, and given that the problem you appear to be
addressing is arguably not one Apache expects to arise given The Apache Way, is there really
a problem with waiting until graduation (at the earliest) to adjust this project's governance?