incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:36:38 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:
<snip>

>>> -1. Same as Zoltan. Except if admins and moderators are PPMC themselves.
>>> They are the ones who monitor the forum, know the users by reading their
>>> posts and how they react.
>>>

>> So you want  to continue picking your own admins and moderators,
>> without ever consulting or reviewing these choices with the PPMC?
>>
>> I'm not sure that is really compatible with the idea of a project-wide
>> meritocracy.  You do a disservice to your own volunteers if you do not
>> bring them to the PPMC, show their valued contributions and allow this
>> to be recognized.  Regardless of language, you should be able to say,
>> in a sentence or two, what the volunteers have contributed, etc.  This
>> is a key role for all PPMC members, to be on the watch for future
>> Committers and PPMC members.  So I'm not sure your approach is really
>> in the best long term interest of the project.
>
> Read my comment: if current admins/mods are part of the PPMC then OK.
> Who has the merit here? Isn't it the current staff that runs the forum for 4
> years?

The status of the initial admins and moderators is not really in
question.  I think everyone has accepted the fact that the current
leadership would remain as-is.  The question is about how, going
forward, new admins and moderators would be nominated and approved.
There is more than one idea being discussed now, and more than one of
them sounds reasonable.

-Rob