incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What could Doc be?
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 01:08:00 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Returning to a point Rob made earlier...
>
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 10:36, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> My general view is this:  After 10 years of OpenOffice.org we have
>> about as many volunteers as the status quo will ever get us.  If
>> someone is really interested and able to contribute to the project,
>> they either are doing so already, do doing so for LibreOffice.   This
>> is due to the great work OOo did over the years raising awareness of
>> the project.
>
> New people become available every week, as their "able to contribute"
> status changes. A conspicuous subset of these are people who are
> retiring from paid work (voluntarily or not) and now have time. There
> are other categories, primarily techwriting students and writing or IT
> professionals looking to make a change into techwriting.

Good points.  There will always be some degree of turnover, with new
people coming in, and others leaving due to other commitments, etc.
That is natural.  But I was thinking more of a source of net growth.

> The dev@docs.ooo list receives 1 or 2 offers to help per day from
> people not formerly involved with OOo, which I pick up in the
> moderation queue. Of these, very few ever become active or productive,
> but occasionally there is a potential gem: someone with relevant
> skills and/or experience who now has the time to contribute. We have a
> generic "welcome and here's how to get started in OOo Docs" response
> that we send to most such enquiries; at present that suggests people
> join either this list or the ODFAuthors list. If someone sounds
> particularly suitable, I usually contact them with a more personalised
> note.

I've seen similar on the dev@ooo list, people stopping in, asking how
they can contribute.  Many of these notes are ignored.  Not knowing
the history of this, I assume that the project was pessimistic that it
could turn new volunteers into productive dev contributors.  I am not
so pessimistic.  That is one reason why I'm encouraging the Linux
build developer education event next week.  Maybe I'll be more
pessimistic after that ;-)

A good question to ask ourselves:  How many new productive coders,
testers, doc writers, etc., have we been able to recruit in the last
12 months?  24 months?  And how did that compare to how things were 5
years ago.   I see many people with 10 or 15 years experience with the
project, but almost no one with 2 or 3 years experience.  That makes
me worry that overall our recruitment has weakened.

> I haven't been paying close attention (sorry), but I am under the
> impression that when the OOo lists are shut down, messages will be
> redirected to this list (with exceptions, such as users@), so this
> list's moderators will be dealing with those from unsubscribed people.
> Are those messages passed through to the list, or sent a reponse of
> some sort?

I don't think we've discussed forwarding the mailing lists.  But if we
did do a simple forwardof the traffic, then any posts to those lists
would be held for moderation, unless the poster was also a  subscriber
to this list.  Moderators would then generally let the message
through, assuming it is not spam.