incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOOo can't save passwort protected file
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:28:05 GMT
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I use a series of older versions as part of my document forensics work.  In particular,
I keep ODF 1.1 processors around.

> It happened that it is the default application in the same VM where I have OOo-dev 3.4
installed.  So it opened by accident on a double-click where I was testing for the Save As
with Password problem, to see if it existed in OOo-dev 3.4.

> So I found a down-level regression by happy accident.  And that had me learn that the
OOo-dev 3.4 uses AES encryption by default, which no ODF 1.0/1.1 client will recognize, nor
will many ODF 1.2 apps not built to recognize anything more than the default encryption (there
being no requirement that they do otherwise).

So none of this is relevant to the issue that Raphael reported.  The
issue reported was inability to *save* a document with a password.  If
you have a different issue related to reading 3.4 documents in OOo 2.4
you should probably entered that into BZ, so we don't lose track of
it.

> To confirm how much down-version breakage there might be I tried these:
>
> LibreOffice 3.4.2 fails on the document in exactly the same way that OO.o 2.4.1 does.
>
> So does Lotus Symphony 3.0.0 FP3.
>
> So maybe the first Apache OO.o release should not switch from the default encryption
algorithm so hastily.

>  - Dennis

down-level compatibility for no apparent reason, and a separate issue (not yet investigated).

>> I FOUND IT: Beside using <manifest:manifest> manifest:version="1.2",
>> OOO-dev 3.4 uses aes256-cbc as the encryption algorithm.  That is going to fail
in any down-level implementation that does not support this allowed but not default encryption.

>> SUGGESTED TEST:
>>
>> To see if the Save As with Password problem is related to choice of encryption method
(and what may or may not be in the build), I suggest trying the Save As with Password after
changing Tools | Options | Load/Save | General | ODF format version from 1.2 Extended to 1.2,
>> and if that still fails, try ODF format 1.0/1.1 also.
>>
>> (I can't run that build, or I would do this myself.)

to see if the problem existed previously.  I was able to password protect (encrypt) a simple
Writer document.  It saved and opened fine (after I gave the password again.
>> So this is maybe a regression
>>> What was interesting to me was that OO.o 2.4.1 (Novell Edition) failed to open
the document and never got to recognizing that it was encrypted.  I got a bad XML message,
suggesting that an encrypted file was being mistakenly opened without decryption first.