incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Set up of ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:01:05 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 09/02/2011 10:10 AM, schrieb Kazunari Hirano:
>>
>> Hi eric,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM, eric b<eric.bachard@free.fr>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> -1 from me, for the following reasons :
>>>
>>> - we should define something general, for all the locales in the same
>>> time,
>>> but not one and another one .. and so on.
>
> I also would like to see some agreements what and how to do it.
> To prevent to process single puzzle pieces again and again.
>
>>> - no precipitation is better : not everybody understood how to create and
>>> even propose a new project, re replace the existing NLC one.
>>> - how does this work ? K. Hirano asks, and will manage everything alone ?
>>
>> No.  I can not do it alone.  We will discuss how to manage things on
>> the list with Japanese users and contributors.
>> I don't propose creation of a native language project.
>
> It should be known that there are already some people that will manage the
> list; like for the ooo-users@ list.
>
>> I am proposing creation of a list where Japanese AOOo users and AOOo
>> developers and AOOo contributors can understand Apache OpenOffice.org
>> project and discuss how to make AOOo the product and community better
>> "in Japanese" to involve Japanese users and contributors who don't
>> read English.
>
> Furthermore we should talk about a common structure how to name the lists
> befor we have different names for different NLC groups. To prevent
> uncontrolled growth regarding names.
>
> To stick with a known naming I would prefer ooo-users-ja@. Or maybe
> ooo-discuss-ja@ when you already know that many discussions will come about
> the Japanese way of AOO.
>
> Please don't get me wrong but "general" looks like that the content is not
> yet known what will be posted in the list. ;-)

Actually, the convention at Apache is to have "general" lists for
projects.  Remember, all lists are used for discussions. The name of
the list expresses either 1) Who is doing the discussing (dev, users,
etc.), or 2) The topic of the discussion (private, support, etc.)
There is no need to put the name "discuss" in the list name.
"General" would be for discussions that are not specific to any other
project list.  So discussions of general interest.

I know this is different than how OOo did it.