incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Set up of ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:55:39 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Kazunari Hirano <khirano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Hirano-san,

I can help with your questions on the process.

> I would like to propose setting up of ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org
> :)
> Can you advise me which is better?
> 1) ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org
> 2) ooo-general-ja@incubator.apache.org
> 3) others
> :)

You can look at the list of existing Apache mailing lists to see the
naming conventions:

http://pulse.apache.org/'

I see three language-specific lists:

dev-br @ spamassassin.apache.org (but only 1 post in the last 2208 days)

dev-de @ spamassassin.apache.org (not very active, only 47 posts in 121 days)

(Note that SpamAssasin has a need to develop language-specific rules
and regular expressions to identify spam)

users-de @ httpd.apache.org (a more active list, 326 subscribers)

So you can see the naming convention from this.

Also, you can see that many projects have a "general" list.  But no
project has a "discuss" list.  But there ASF-level "discuss" lists,
like legal-discuss.

> As Japanese OpenOffice.org mailing lists such as
> users@ja.openoffice.org, announce@ja.openoffice.org,
> dev@ja.openoffice.org, discuss@ja.openoffice.org,
> documentation@ja.openoffice.org, marketing@ja.openoffice.org,
> qa@ja.openoffice.org, translate@ja.openoffice.org, will be closed
> soon, I would like to ask the Apache OpenOffice.org incubator project
> to set up ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org and invite subscribers
> on those lists to ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org.
>
> We have many subscribers (users and contributors) who don't read
> English on those Japanese lists.
> We would like to use the list, ooo-ja-general@incubator.apache.org, to
> discuss "in Japanese" many things related to Apache OpenOffice.org.
> 1) To understand the proposal
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal/ja
> 2) To understand the status
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
> 3) To read and navigate pages on the site
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
> 4) To learn Apache way, Apache License and more about Apache
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
> 5) To learn how to use wikis
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/
> http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/JA/
> 6) To discuss on Japanese forum and mailing lists
> about moderation of the forum, creation of
> ooo-ja-users@incubator.apache.org etc.
> 7) To discuss on translation, QA, marketing, documentation around and
> after AOOo release.
> 8) To learn SVN, how to get source code, how to build AOOo
> 9) others

This are all good things.  How will you accomplish these these things?
  On the current ooo-dev list, we've done many of these things, but we
have been successful because we had a "critical mass" of project
members, Mentors, Apache Infra experts, etc. helping to answer our
questions, pointing out our errors, etc.

If you participate in English on the ooo-dev list, even with limited
English skills (but I think your English is excellent!) then you get
all of this help.  How would this work on the Japanese list?  Would
you continue to participate in both lists and relay questions?

> I would like to be a moderator for the list.
> I will ask Maho Nakata to be another moderator.
>
> After discussion here and no objection, or lazy consensus made, should
> I create a [VOTE] thread?

Lazy consensus is a way of avoiding a vote.  You make a proposal, and
if there are no objections then you go ahead and implement the
proposal.

You might want to look at this lazy consensus template:

http://markmail.org/message/rn2uentbgqipx2a5

> Or may I just ask someone to issue a ticket to JIRA?
> Like: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-3905
> ?
> May I file a ticket or who may I ask to do it?

Anyone can create a JIRA issue.  You just need to create an account.
Enter it for the Infrastructure list. classify it as "Mailing Lists",
and enter the email addresses of the moderators.

But let's first continue the discussion on the list name, etc.