incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:15:09 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Matt Richards <mrichards@gmail.com> wrote:
> Things appear to be quite heated surrounding the forum transition area and I
> fear this is ultimately going to rip apart a very strong existing portion of
> the OOo community if it continues on the path its going. I thought a big
> part of the Apache way is building and sustaining a community surrounding
> the project as well as the project itself. But it appears the only way to
> become a contributor for the time being is to have a developer set of
> skills. Forums/support a long side with documentation require a completely
> different skill set.. I'd hope the ASF has some kind of way to acknowledge
> this level of work.

This is absolutely not true.   Contributors of all kinds -- coding of
course, but also testing, documentation writing, support, web design,
accessibility, UI design, etc. can become Committers and PPMC members
if they've made sustained and valued contributions to the project.

Anyone who wants to join Apache is welcome.  But the critical words
here are "want" and "join".  We don't force people to join.  And this
is not SourceForce.  You can't just set up an autonomous project with
the project.

-Rob