incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject "LibreOffice and Apache one year later"
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:03:08 GMT
An interesting new article in by Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier.

There are a couple factual errors there in describing our project:

1) The article claims that we have not added any committers since the
project started

Obviously this is not true.  It is easily to verify by looking at our
recent reports: (72 committers) (71 committers) (56 committers)

You don't need to take off your shoes and count on your toes to see
that we have more committers than when we started.

2) The article claims that we don't have an issue tracker set up yet

But if you click on the "bug tracking" link on the home page you will
end up here:

I'm not sure there is anything we can do to make this more obvious.

Either of these errors would have been easily avoided if "Zonker"
asked a question on this list or attempted to contact Apache.   He
seems to have followed the list traffic enough to pick out a few
negative points, but then misses the discussion on the list of our
monthly reports, or that fact Bugzilla has been migrated.

Of course, journalists of all stripes are busy people, with deadlines
and not a lot of time to fact check.  So anything we can do to make
progress on the project more obvious to the casual visitor might be a
good thing.  For example, when we have something as significant as the
successful Bugzilla migration, maybe that should get a blog post?
Maybe we can try to establish a regular cadence of posts, say every
two weeks?  If we make people dig through the mail archives for news,
then we make it difficult for them and they will make dumb mistakes.
They are not experts in our project.  We are.  So anything we can do
to give them per-digested, factual of course, but more easily
consumable information is of great help to the working journalist.

View raw message